As we move further towards full employment, businesses are finding it more and more difficult to recruit the right people. Combine this with our leaving the EU and therefore removing access to people eager to work for us we are sitting on a recruitment time bomb. So what can forward-thinking companies do? The answer is what many forward-thinking companies are already doing and focusing on being an employer of choice.
As employers will all be fighting over the same people, how can you stand out from the crowd and be the most attractive employer?
- Consider flexible working practices – this is not just the domain of working parents, many younger workers are much more focused on having a work life balance. Companies that have for example enabled their people to start early and finish early so people can ‘have a life’, have a real pull.
- Tailor your benefits package – it is not all about money either. Have the flexibility to tailor your package to the workforce and take advantage of many of the ‘free’ benefits available.
- Train and invest in your people – people want to be building up their skillset and learning, understand their aspirations and match them to the business needs
- Provide an enjoyable and engaged workplace where people understand what they have to achieve and the part they play in the overall success of their organisation and they have fun doing it
- Demonstrate your commitment to their wellbeing by being understanding and encouraging, listening and supporting. You will be amazed at how you will be repaid in enthusiasm, motivation and performance
- Ensure the line managers are the best they can be. Many people leave an organisation because of their line manager, don’t be one of those employers
- Don’t forget the adage that if you look after your people, they will look after your customers.
With social media meaning the word gets out there if you are an employer of choice, if you get it right, your existing people will also be your best recruitment tool!